May 15, 2012

BAD BOYS....

When you have bulls eventually you will get to be "that" neighbor who's bulls got into the neighbors cows and probably sired a couple of calves....  Our bulls were in our pasture last Saturday afternoon (this time of year I count them every time I drive by the pasture) and I seen all 6 of them.  Sunday morning the neighbor calls and said he just drove by our pasture to go check is cows and only counted 4 bulls...  Well crap.....  We finished what we were doing and went out to investigate and check the fences.  Found 1 broken post and some wires that were no longer attached to the post and black hair stuck in the barb wire.  We did some crime scene investigating farm style...  Even though I didn't do a DNA test on the hair sample or break out the light and odd shade glasses to look for blood to test the thought that I need a cool kit to carry with me when I have to do some farm CSI did cross my mind!!!  I drove through the bulls and only counted 4 (I counted 3 times just to make sure I wasn't dreaming).  I figured out which 2 bulls were missing (the "big simmental bull" and a 2 yr old SimAngus bull).  We were busy trying to get about 3 loads of cows to grass and finish up planting corn at that moment so we made the decision to postpone the "man" hunt for later in the evening.  After we finished planting corn, hauled the cows to grass, fed the remaining cows and checked all the calves we headed north in search of the bulls.  I had never been in that pasture before more than a few 100 feet so I had no idea that it was as big as it was!!!  It is about 3 sections (it seemed like 6).  A section of ground is 640 acres or 1 mile long by 1 mile wide. 

The big bull looking at the new fence, wishing he could get closer
to the fence with the girls on the other side.... He can just keep
wishing!!!!!!!
 I found the big bull within about a hour of searching.  Called Mark and told him which gate to open and my approximate location.  By that time I really had not much of a clue where I was at after weaving and circling around in my quest.  All I knew is if I kept the setting sun to my right then I was going south and our place was south!!!!  Usually when I move the bulls I ride my horse.  I don't like the feeling of being lower than the bull.  I think I feel bigger in comparison which make me feel like I am in charge!!!  I get to look down on him instead of looking up to him... It's all about perspective...  Following the bull from behind on the 4-wheeler I was looking up at least 2-3 feet at his butt!!  This bull tips the scale at a little over 2200 lbs, I weigh 98 lbs with all of my winter coats and coverall on.  Only good thing is he is a gentle giant and walked the 2 or 3 miles back to our fence with no problems.  I tried very hard not to be mad that he would only walk 3-4 mph because I could have gotten off the 4-wheeler and walked faster than that!!!  By the time we got him back in the pasture it was almost dark and decided to resume the hunt for the other bull the next evening when we got home from work.  Monday night got home from work and got the cows fed and checked then we topped the gas tanks off and headed north to find the other bull.  After about an hour or so I found the him with a group of cows.  He is not a calm as the other bull, and really wanted to stay with his lady friends so I waited for Mark to come help me.  He moved at a much faster pace of about 8-10 mph but his homing skills were a little to be desired and we made alot more detours and zig zags across the pasture.  he finally realized that he was not going to win the battle and decided it was much easier to just go where we wanted him to!  Again I didn't take my horse so I was looking up at a poopy bull butt!!!  Why didn't I take the horse???  Well I can maintain a faster pace and cover more ground with my 4-wheeler during the search than with my horse.  This pasture is really open and can see a long ways so between the speed of the 4-wheeler (and the fact that it doesn't get tired and need to slow down at times) and my binoculars I can see a lot of country in not a whole lot of time.  If it would have been a smaller pasture, or I knew where the bull was already at, or if it would have been brushing or covered with cedar trees the horse would have been the mode of transportation of choice.  It is all about using the best tool for the job. 


The buffer fence.  We will let them back later this summer
after they return from the 75 days of working for their meals.  The fence they
broke through is really a great 5 stran barb wire, but there are only 2 things
that will get males to make bad decisions... food and girls.....
 After getting them home we decided that the best way to solve this issue was to put up a little hot wire to keep the bulls a little further away from the main fence that way the temptation of cows in heat was not so high.  After putting up the new fence the bulls did appear to be a little sad that they could get so close to the ladies, but that is life, we don't always get we want all of the time!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment